Our Partner - Behance
In the final post about the partners who helped bring Ogilvy Notes to life this year, I’d like to talk about Behance.
Behance has a single purpose, which manifests in an amazing variety of products and services.
We empower creative professionals to make ideas happen.
I’ve always appreciated their devotion to the thought that ideas alone mean nothing. Great ideas executed greatly are what we all aspire to. It’s the ethos of the Edisons and Fords of the world and it’s relieving to know that they aim to carry this torch.
Last year we hosted all of the content for Ogilvy Notes on Tumblr, which continues to host our blog, but we felt that we needed something with a little more muscle this year. To solve this challenge we turned to the combination of the Behance Network and ProSite. The Behance Network is the love child of Facebook and the best portfolio site you could dream of. ProSite is the fully customizable front-end that allows you to leverage the scale of Behance in a completely custom presentation.
Beyond these two services Behance also manufactures paper products, puts on a killer conference every year called the 99%, and publishes some of the best content around on creativity, effectiveness, and getting things done.
They are the 21st century companion that every creative minded person needs.
Our Schedule - Tuesday the 13th
It’s sad but true. Today is our last day.
Here the rundown of what we’ll be covering on the last day of SXSW Interactive.
- The Future of Music Consumption with Ken Parks at 11:00am
- Advise THIS! Matchmaking Startups & High Profile Advisors with Gary Vaynerchuk, JR Johnson, Chase Jarvis, Tim Ferriss, and Tony Conrad at 11:00am
- Turntable.fm: The Future of Music Is Social with Billy Chasen, Jesse Kirshbaum, and Seth Goldstein at 12:30pm
- Surviving Technology with George Friedman at 12:30pm
- Coding the Next Chapter of American History with Jennifer Pahlka at 2:00pm
- Digital Debauchery with Anthony Bourdain with Anthony Bourdain, Anthony De Rosa, Helen Cho, Tom Vitale, and Zach Zamboni at 3:30pm
- Birth of Interactive Entertainment: Avatar to Björk with Scott Snibbe at 5:00pm
Ogilvy Notes - Day 4 Recap
Good morning everyone
Here’s the recap of yesterday’s notes. It was a big day for us with a great selection of talks.
Only one more day to go!
Our Partner - BuzzFeed
In the second of 3 posts about our Ogilvy Notes partners, I’d like to introduce BuzzFeed.
BuzzFeed has a seemingly simple mission to “track the web’s obsessions in real time.” Truth be told, this is anything but simple. Behind all of the Lolcats and Sad Keanu posts are some serious analytics and behavioral data on how content appeals to audiences, performs, and is shared. Check out a small sampling of what their data can do below.
We have been working with them to set up and promote our channel on BuzzFeed, http://buzzfeed.com/ogilvynotes
Be sure to check out BuzzFeed, get your LOLZ, and also dig into the deep potential that they offer for advertisers and sponsors. They have an amazingly talented editorial staff, huge amounts of expertise, and can easily prove the effectiveness of what they offer.
We’re I come from, they call that the triple threat!
Our Schedule - Monday the 12th
Here’s our day 3 schedule!
- The Future of The New York Times with Evan Smith and Jill Abramson at 11:00am
- Invention & Inspiration: Building a Better World with Dean Kamen at 11:00am
- Net Smart: How to Thrive Online with Howard Rheingold at 11:00am
- Is Technology Making Our Lives Richer or Poorer? with Jaron Lanier and Nicholas Thompson at 12:30pm
- Create More Value Than You Capture with Andrew Mcafee and Tim O’Reilly at 12:30om
- Expanding Our Intelligence Without Limit with Lev Grossman and Ray Kurzweil at 2:00pm
- The Next Big Thing with Matt Barrie at 3:30pm
- Content As a Means for Social Change with Biz Stone and Brian Sirgutz at 3:30pm
- The Future of Innovation and Consumer Electronics with Gary Shapiro, Kevin O’Malley, and Richard Watson at 5pm
- Don’t Shoot the Player While They’re Learning with Katie Salen at 5:00pm
Ogilvy Notes - Day 3 RecapGood morning everyone.
Here’s the Day 3 recap. We’ll be continuing for the next 2 days so hang around!
Prints at the Day Stage have been going quickly so be sure to swing by.
Our Partner - Percolate
This is the first of 3 posts about our Ogilvy Notes partners this year.
For those of you unfamiliar with Percolate, now is the time to get to know them. We all consume, live, and perhaps work in the world of content. Creation is one end of the content spectrum and we sometimes forget that there are other ways of leveraging content to tell narratives.
Curation is a bit of a buzzword of late, but there is a ton of value that it can play in helping individuals and brands express their point of view. This is where percolate comes in. They answer a simple but critical question … how can I find the most relevant and valuable content in a world full of noise?
I’ll let their words do the talking from here.
Calibrate - To be a content creator, you must be a content consumer
The first step is to map the brand’s interests and campaign goals against a subset of the five million sources Percolate scrapes daily. By answering a series of questions we turn a brand strategy into the interest engine that will power your brands Percolator.
Filter - Separating the signal from the noise
Unlike most systems, Percolate gets better at filtering as you give it more information. We use our proprietary algorithms to sort all the stories from your calibrated sources and bubble up only the most relevant and interesting content for an editor to comment on.
Curate - People are more interesting than algorithms
One of our core beliefs is that nothing a brand presents to consumers should go out without first being touched by a brand representative. Without Percolate this can be a daunting task. However, Percolate presents the top stories as simple prompts for a brand editor to comment on.
Publish - Push content to social platforms and websites
Once the brand’s editor has added their stamp, the curated story is ready to be pushed to social platforms like Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr as well as a brand’s .com. We format everything for the channel so all the editor needs to worry about is being interesting.
Learn - The more you use Percolate, the better it gets
We look at everything an editor does in Percolate to help make the system better. By learning from what you post and how your audience reacts, we are able to find new sources and additional content to help you engage consumers across all channels.
We worked with the team at Percolate to create the graph below. We wondered, what the implicit and explicit connections between the speakers we were documenting might be. This is showing is the sites they have in common (based on content sharing) in orange, what are the pieces of content that they shared in grey, and finally all of their connection to SXSW.
We hope you find this interesting. Be sure to check them out. We’re big fans!
Ogilvy Notes - Day 2 Recap
Good morning everyone.
Day 2 was a blast. Here’s a consolidated list of all the keynotes and panels we captured yesterday:
We’ll be in and around the Day Stage so come find us, say hi, and grab some prints. If you’re not at SXSW feel free to head to OgilvyNotes.com and share the best of SXSW with your friends and colleagues!
Our Schedule - Sunday the 11thGood morning.It’s Day 3 and we’re going strong!
- Tapping Into America’s Secret Sauce: Entrepreneurs with Steve Case and Tim O’Shaughnessy at 11:00am
- The Nick Denton Interview: The Failure of Comments with Nick Denton, and Anil Dash at 11:00am
- Computation and Its Impact on the Future with Stephen Wolfram at 12:30pm
- Ambient Location and the Future of the Interface with Amber Case at 2:00pm
- The Payment Revolution is Coming: Welcome to Interchange Zero with Seth Priebatsch at 3:30pm
- The Love You Make with Caterina Fake at 3:30pm
- Design. Build. Transform. with Emily Pilloton at 3:30pm
Prints will be available from yesterday’s sessions around 10am so be sure to swing by!
Our Schedule - Saturday the 10th
Good morning all.
We’ve got another exciting day planned and a killer line-up today!
- Top Chef: How Transmedia is Changing TV with Aimee Viles, Andy Cohen, Dave Serwatka, Lisa Hsia, and Tom Colicchio at 11:00am
- The Start-Up of YOU: 21st Century Career Strategy with Ben Casnocha and Reid Hoffman at 11:00am
- Hunt or Be Hunted: Get the Design Job You Want with Amy Jackson, Gina Bianchini, Jason Putorti, and Whitney Hess at 12:30pm
- Emotional Equations to Connect with Your Customers with Chip Conley at 12:30pm
- How to Read the World with Baratunde Thurston at 2:00pm
- The Secret Lives of Links with Jared Spool at 3:30pm
- Making the Real World Easier to Use with Dennis Crowley and MG Siegler at 3:30pm
- Catch Me If You Can: Frank Abagnale 10 Years Later with Frank Abagnale at 3:30pm
- The Wars of Tech with Steven Levy at 5:00pm
- Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think with Peter Diamandis at 5:00pm
- The View From Rainn Wilson’s Brainstem with Rainn Wilson at 5:00pm
Prints will be available from yesterday’s sessions around 10am so be sure to swing by!
Ogilvy Notes - Day 1 Recap
Good evening everyone.
Our first day was a blast and we’re off to a great start. For those of you who didn’t see the notes as they were rolling out, below are links to all of the days Ogilvy Notes.
We’ll be back tomorrow with another batch and will be publishing our coverage schedule first thing in the morning.
Also, be sure to check out our special section on BuzzFeed at http://buzzfeed.com/ogilvynotes
Have a great night!
Our Schedule - Friday the 9th
Good morning everyone.
We’ve finalized our schedule for the next 5 days and wanted to share the keynotes and panels that we’re capturing today!
- Wireless Wellness: App-tastic or Just Fun & Games? with Ina Fried, Mark Bertolini @ 2:00pm
- Rethinking Civilization for the Social Age with Don Tapscott @ 2:00pm
- The Cloud as Skynet: Conquering Digital Overload with Steve Rosenbaum @ 2pm
- Fireside Chat with Vic Gundotra on Google+ with Guy Kawasaki and Vic Gundotra @ 3:30pm
- Gamify and Socialize: Beyond the Buzzwords with Bing Gordon and Brad Stone @ 3:30pm
- Why Happiness Is the New Currency with Ade Olonoh, Brian Wong, and Dave Morin @ 5:00pm
- The Lean Startup: The Science of Entrepreneurship with Eric Ries @ 5:00pm
- A Crash Course in Becoming SuperBetter with Jane McGonigal @ 5:00pm
We’ll post our schedule every morning.
Be sure to come say hi to use at the Ogilvy Day Stage on the 4th floor of the Convention Center!
What's new this year?
Last year was big for us. We had an idea about how we could add some value to SXSW and Ogilvy Notes was born. We were overwhelmed by the response to the project which only made us more excited to come back in 2012.
One of the things a lot of people commented on was the fact that at its core Ogilvy Notes is quite analog. There are a few reasons we went this route:
- Visual notes are compelling to see made, consume at any time, and keep as a reference.
- There is so much going on digitally or otherwise at SXSW. We wanted to add value and if the best way to do that was analog, so be it.
- In years past but noticeably in 2010, visual notes were becoming a more recognizable part of SXSW and we had to opportunity to turn the amps up to 11.
It deserves to be said that none of this would be possible without our friends and partners at ImageThink. Heather and Nora have an amazingly talented team who help us bring this to life. Be sure to check out their website.
So that brings us to some more exciting news. This year we wanted to build on the momentum from 2011 but challenge ourselves to bring some more digital to the party. We got some great new partners in the fold to help us realize a bigger and better Ogilvy Notes.
Based in New York City, Behance is a rapidly growing technology company that is changing the face of the creative industries. We believe that great ideas are made to happen through great execution, and we practice what we preach (see our team tenets). Our incredibly talented team of designers and developers work hand-in-hand, leveraging the latest technologies and design-thinking to create revolutionary products that empower creative professionals.
We feature the kind of things you’d want to pass along to your friends: an outrageous video that’s about to go viral, an obscure subculture breaking into the mainstream, a juicy bit of gossip that everyone at the office will be talking about tomorrow, or an ordinary guy having his glorious 15-minutes of fame. And when you read BuzzFeed, you’ll always know the movies, music, and products that are on the rise and worth your time.
Percolate is an engine that consumes the world for a brand: Bubbling up the most interesting stories and making it easy to comment on those stories and push them out to a brand’s .COM, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, or even ad units.
Over the next few days we’ll be sharing deeper looks into how we’re leveraging each of these partners. For now we hope you’re all ready for a fun ride!
Are there notes from Blake Mycoskie's keynote?
Unfortunately not. Ogilvy Notes captured content from the 12th, 13th, and 14th.
Ogilvy Notes - Day by Day Archives
I noticed that the posts ended several days ago. Will we still be able to see the drawings from the final days? Looking for "Synthetic Life" and a few others on the list of sessions you covered. Thanks!
You should be able to find anything you’re looking for at http://ogilvynotes.com/archive